- „The relationship between Jennifer and her parents is much more complicated than you and I could even begin to imagine. It may well be unsalvageable”
- —Grams to Jack and Jen
Pacey (Joshua Jackson) finds himself in a dangerous situation with his new boss Alex (guest star Sherilyn Fenn, "Twin Peaks") after he stages a work revolt in front of important restaurant investors which causes her to lose her job - and her mind. Meanwhile, with school out for the summer, Dawson (James Van Der Beek) and Joey (Katie Holmes) head back to Capeside to reconnect with their fathers - Joey heads to prison to visit her father unaware that he was paroled months ago while Dawson goes to the cemetery for the first time.
Joey and Audrey pack up their dorm and head to Capeside before Audrey will head to L.A. with Dawson. Joey decides to visit her father in prison, reflecting on her mugging earlier in the year. Pacey faces off with Alex Pearl at Civilization and quits while Dawson gets offered a film deal – with Oliver. Jen and Jack plan a summer in Costa Rica, but Jen is thrown when Grams tells her that Jen's parents have invited her to spend the summer with them in the Hamptons.
- „If your parents have truly found a way to love you, this won't be their last opportunity to prove it”
- —Grams to Jen
- Joey finds out that her dad was released from prison around January, but has chosen not to contact them.
- Audrey accidentally lets slip that Dawson drove out to see Joey on Spring Break.
- Jen decides to go to Costa Rica with Jack.