Gretchen and Pacey are reeling from their respective break-ups. Joey gets a visit from Mr. Kubelik asking her to bring Pacey to a Worthington Freshman gathering. Dawson learns that Gretchen is leaving town, which prompts him to make her a surprising offer. Jen is hurt when Grams informs her that she's selling her house in part to pay for Jen's tuition in Boston, prompting Jen to tell Jack that she can't go with him.
- I'm not ashamed to admit that I'd be scared to go to school without you
- – Jack to Jen
- I'm an 18-year-old woman who's afraid to be away from her grammy
- – Jen
- How can I enjoy it without you?
- – Joey to Pacey
- Dear Dawson...
- I've been thinking about what to say to you since I left your house yesterday. I thought about waiting for you to come to my door, saying this face to face, but I knew it would be too hard. I realize that, as much as I need to move on, you need to stay here. Your whole life is about to change in a way that will never be the same. You're opening a new chapter, and you have to give a proper good-bye to the old one. You don't want to miss these moments, even the sad ones, because you'll never get them back. So enjoy this time. Let it wash over you so that your memories of it are strong. Besides, I don't need to spend a month in a car to fall in love with you. I already am in love with you, even more than you know. So good-bye, Dawson Leery. Thank you for changing my life and opening my heart again. You'll never know how much it meant to me. Have a bitchin' summer.
- Love, Gretchen
- Gretchen leaves Capeside and Dawson.
- Pacey and Joey finalize their break-up.
- Jack is going on another date with Tobey.
- Jen asks Grams to move to Boston with her.