- „I just think our emerging hormones are destined to alter our relationship and I'm trying to limit the fallout”
- —Joey to Dawson
EMOTIONS IN MOTION -- At the onset of their sophomore year of high school, Dawson Leery (James Van Der Beek) and his best friend, Josephine "Joey" Potter (Katie Holmes), battle with the knowledge that their lifelong friendship may be changing. Adding to Joey's confusing emotions is the arrival of the radiant Jennifer Lindley (Michelle Williams), who appears to be "the girl next door," but has an air of mystery surrounding her as she harbors a dark secret from her past. Rounding out the clique is Pacey (Joshua Jackson), whose gift for sarcasm is topped only be an over-confident knack for stumbling awkwardly unprepared into adult situations.
Film addict Dawson Leery is making a film starring his two childhood best friends, Joey Potter and Pacey Witter, to submit for the Boston Film Festival. Filming is interrupted by the arrival of Jen Lindley, the granddaughter of Dawson's next door neighbour, Evelyn Ryan. Jen tells the gang that her parents sent her to Capeside from New York to help her grandmother care for her Grandfather, who recently suffered a stroke.
Later that day, Dawson and Pacey are working at the local video shop in town when Tamara Jacobs walks in. Pacey develops a crush on her, but he is shocked to find out that she is Pacey's new English Teacher. At the end of the episode, Joey discovers that Gail Leery (Dawson's mother) is having an affair with her co-anchor Bob.
- „Wit. We like that around here”
- —Dawson to Jen
- Dawson – Show some respect man, she's somebody's mother
- Pacey – I have it on pretty good authority that mothers have excellent sex lives
- Nellie's dad owns the video store where Pacey and Dawson work.
- Dawson and Jen met before, when they were kids
- Tamara kisses Pacey
- Joey and Dawson have the same conversation about Spielberg and the Oscars in the season four finale.
- hey pretty girl | BODEANS
- as i lay me down | SOPHIE B. HAWKINS
- tubthumping | CHUMBAWAMBA
- mercy me | SAY-SO
- good mother | JANN ARDEN
- i'll stand by you | THE PRETENDERS