- „Made me feel alive”
Joey and Pacey meet as kids and, it seems, from the beginning have an antagonistic relationship, in the kid sense of the word with teasing and such. This continues into their teen years, with the two bickering and trading insults at every turn. Pacey suddenly feels attracted to Joey after being forced to spend the day with her on a science project. Joey, however, rejects Pacey's advances as she is in love with Dawson, but this experience changes their dynamic from sheer annoyance to something of a bantering friendship. Pacey drives Joey to the prison to visit her father.
Dawson and Pacey's friendship suffers slightly when Dawson and Joey start dating, although Pacey doesn't really blame Joey in any way. When Jack is harrassed by the community and his family over whether or not he's gay while he's dating Joey, Pacey asks Joey how she's doing. The two also plan Dawson's 16th surprise birthday party together. Pacey literally saves Joey's life when the Ice House suffers an arson attack due to Mike Potter's drug dealings.
- „I think I'm in love with you. I know it. I've know it since the moment we kissed, and maybe even before that. And as scary as it is, I don't want to deny it anymore. I don't want to run from it or let it run from me”
- —Joey to Pacey[src]
- „Listen, Pacey. If I'm thanking you for anything... it's for being yourself. It's for not caring what anybody else thinks. It's for knowing in your own heart what's wrong and what's right. And for being there this year... when I needed you most”
- When Gretchen returns to Capeside, she remarks to Pacey how she's not surprised that he and Joey ended up together.
- As Joey and Dawson were construed as the 'endgame' couple for the series, some find it an impressive (and more successful) risk to take, that the writers ultimately changed these plans to pair up Joey and Pacey.
Notes and references
- ↑ Stolen Kisses – Aunt Gwen recounts her first meeting with Pacey Witter.
- ↑ Pilot
- ↑ Kiss
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Double Date
- ↑ Four to Tango
- ↑ Home Movies
- ↑ Decisions
- ↑ Crossroads
- ↑ To Be or Not to Be...
- ↑ Be Careful What You Wish For
- ↑ Parental Discretion Advised
- ↑ Coming Home
- ↑ When "Endgame" couples fall short; Dawson Syndrome VS The Pacey Solution (August 2014)
- ↑ The Pacey Witter Theorem (February 2013)