Joey and Pacey return from their summer at the sea, Joey looking to make amends with Dawson. Having spent the summer with Andie, Jen and Jack, Dawson is uninterested in confronting his old friends, but Jen insists he try. Andie meets some cute french guys.
Joey and Pacey return from a blissful and romantic summer traveling the east coast aboard Pacey's boat, the "True Love." Now they have to face their senior year at Capeside High and before classes begin, they must confront their friends and the one question that's on everyone's minds…Did they or didn't they? Regardless, a lot has changed and the lovers wonder if Capeside was better off without them. Dawson has every intention of avoiding the happy couple forever, but Jen orchestrates an encounter between them at an end of summer party.
While struggling with the fact that her boyfriend, Henry, has suddenly been sent away to school, Jen helps Dawson realize that he must confront his feelings and his friends' relationship sooner or later. While all may not be forgiven, the bond between Dawson and Joey has not yet been forgotten. Meanwhile, Pacey's life is shaken up when his sister, Gretchen (Sasha Alexander), returns to Capeside and Andie gets a lesson in authentic French kissing from an exchange student (Jason Daniel Roberts, "The Real World's" Danny).
- James Van Der Beek as Dawson Leery
- Katie Holmes as Joey Potter
- Michelle Williams as Jen Lindley
- Joshua Jackson as Pacey Witter
- Meredith Monroe as Andie McPhee
- Kerr Smith as Jack McPhee
- Mary-Margaret Humes as Gail Leery
- John Wesley Shipp as Mitch Leery
- Mary Beth Peil as Evelyn Ryan
- Nina Repeta as Bessie Potter
- Jason Daniel Roberts as J.J.
- First appearance of Gretchen Witter